NationalPLC.Org

kidsnav.gif (4714 bytes)

Contact Us

[AKidsRight.Org] Senator Clinton - Aug 15th, is NonViolent Action working?

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 13:43:51 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

     Take a gallon of Sear's Best High Gloss Enamel, a nice bright red
color, and write 'Senator Clinton - Please help us!"  Do this in the
plaza of the Syracuse Federal Building in brush strokes big enough to
be read from the 14th floor -- where her local office is located.
What will be the result?

     As many of you know I am the coordinator for the AKidsRight.Org
group.  The group was started in 1997 and the main idea was the use of
NonViolent Action (as most recent practiced by Gandhi and King), to
help make reform happen. http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil.htm

Status of NonViolent Action
---------------------------
     Well, how are we doing?  A major effort started in 2002 was to
get a meeting between Senator Clinton and parents.  Many of you know I
have been arrested quite a few times outside her offices and made
numerous trips to jail -- has any of that really mattered?
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr

     I have to say I've been pondering these same questions and not
liking the answers.  Pie-in-the-sky theory is great and sounds nice,
but what about practice?  I'm an engineer by training and a former Air
Force Pilot -- there is a lot of theory in Aeronautics, but you know
what -- it works!  Planes can fly!  But we still don't have a meeting
with Senator Clinton.  What's wrong?

     Things at the Syracuse Federal Building have come to a bit of a
stand off.  If I try to walk into the building, I'm pushed away, they
lock the front door.  If I try to take a piece of chalk and write on
the walls of the building -- two Federal officers are assigned to walk
with me and just take the chalk from my hand.

     It would seem someone does NOT want an arrest to happen -- now
what?  Perhaps there are those who want me to escalate my conduct, do
something 'bad' -- so then they can say, "See, we told you so, he's
just a trouble maker!"  How should I proceed?  I've talked to people
and tried to make sense of this, where to go next.

Future Actions and Your Help
----------------------------
     My  first step is to try to get them to stop 'blocking' my
access to the building by use of physical force.  I just submitted a
motion to the US Magistrate assigned to my cases (with a copy to
Senator Clinton's
office). http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr/dibianco15-total.pdf

     This is part of a very public effort to call attention to what
is being done.  Civil Rights activist may be pushed away by Chinese
Police when they attempt to enter Tianamen Square, but it is not
appropriate conduct for a Federal Building in the United States.

     Next Monday, on August 15th, I will be returning to the Federal
Building for what may be the last 'scheduled' event.  I'll arrive at
2 PM and hope to see you there.  I will again try to enter the
building carrying our petition for reform -- and will hopefully gain
entry. Details: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr

     If I find myself pushed away I will need to take some
unannounced actions in the near future.  I don't need people to
directly 'participate', but just to be there as witnesses and help
show public support.  It will also be a great help in getting some
media attention.  The 'gallon of red paint' is just an idea.  I have
some others which may be more effective.  If you are interested please
call me at 877-635-1968,x-211 (during the day), or email at
jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org

A Personal Commitment to NonViolent Action
     If you have time look at some of the history,
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/events.htm   Some pretty amazing things have
happened and I'm sure many of you have been surprised by the different
directions these actions have taken.  Years ago when I started this I
knew it could require great personal sacrifice and could cost me
almost everything I have: my home, family, and job.  A long jail
sentence could make those potential sacrifices a reality.  It is a
frightening thought.

     To just 'stop' now, would leave things half done.  As I myself
have said so many times, GREAT rights require GREAT sacrifices to
acquire -- or how do we know they are great?  People are dying in Iraq
everyday out of a desire to 'serve their country.'  How does that
compare to a few months/years in a jail?

     So many people become disillusioned with the reform effort.  A
lot of talking, a lot of bickering -- but nothing ever happens.  I see
people forming PACs (Political Action Committees) and wonder, "Where
is the money going to come from to give legislators -- beat-up parents
don't have it).  I'll be the first to say that visiting/writing
legislators is important, that court challenges are important -- but
we also have to realize something else.  Public Action is important
and was a part of Civil Right's efforts of the past -- NonViolent
Action can be a very powerful method.

     I have talked to Domenic about Faith, and God, and Love. It is
time for a demonstration.  Oh, and please don't see this as some type
of 'last gasp' or act of desperation. No, it is not that at
all. Rather -- it is what must come next. There may be some painful
experiences waiting up ahead -- but is anything 'bad' going to happen.
No.

     Quite honestly, I fully expect we will get that meeting in
Syracuse between parents and Senator Clinton in the next few months.
To help put reform on the National Agenda and get people taking about
Family Rights and strong protections from government interference in
our relationship with our children.

     Best regards!
--
                                       John Murtari